2021/10/10

Japan Trip - Mount Fuji

After spending 5 days at Chubu area and made full use of the Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Pass, I continue my trip to Shizuoka(静岡)to view the magnificent Mt. Fuji.

On the 23rd May night I took a JR night bus from Nagoya station to Shizuoka station. I booked my ticket before hand via this site, and the ticket costs around ¥2,930. The bus trip took around 4 hours and reached the hotel around 10.30pm. I stayed 2 nights at Smile Hotel Shizuoka which was just 8 minutes away from the Shizuoka station. 2 nights there costs ¥9,000 with breakfast included. The single room wasn't very spacious but it was good enough for a solo traveler. As for breakfast, it wasn't a fancy buffet breakfast instead they provide coffee, tea and different variety of breads and buns. It was a pleasant stay there.

Simple breakfast at the hotel

On the 24th May morning I took a bus to Nihondaira Plateau(日本平)which was said to be a popular spot to view the Mount Fuji. It is a hilly area, 307 meters above sea level with a green tea farm. There is Nihondaira Yume Terrace which has a 360° observation deck. It was opened in 2018 but when I was there it was still under construction, how unfortunate 😞 The day I went was such a great weather, sunny day with blue sky, but unfortunately there was a thick cloud covering the Mt. Fuji. I only could take a glimpse when the cloud cleared away awhile. 



After spending my morning there, I went back to Shizuoka station and take a train to Shimizu(清水)In my itinerary, I was suppose to take a ferry ride there to different port to view the Mt. Fuji. However, the cloud on that day was so thick I can barely find the Mt. Fuji. So I ditched that plan and just hang around the fish market there and S-Pulse Dream Plaza, a mall there. 

Shimizu Fish Market

Evacuation Plan when there is a tsunami

First level is the fish market

Second level are all restaurants selling seafood meals. Had my lunch there too

駿河丼 (Suruga-don) and Udon set. It's a Sakura Shrimp & Whitebait Rice bowl which is Shimizu Port local specialty


The Shimizu Port

The thick cloud covering up the Mt. Fuji

S-Pulse Dream Plaza

It wasn't a fruitful day and I went back to hotel early and called it a day. I rested up early and hope that the next day when I go to Lake Kawaguchi I can have a better view of Mt. Fuji. 

The next day (25th May) morning I went to Mishima(三島)station and take a JR bus to Kawaguchiko(河口湖)station. Once I reached the station I was fascinated by the view in front of view. The Mount Fuji looked so close and big there! Furthermore, there wasn't any cloud covering the Mt. Fuji so it was such a clear view of it.
One of my fav shot there

After checking in to the hostel and had my lunch, I was ready to go to my first stop there, the Chureito Pagoda(忠霊塔). It's one of the most famous photo spot for Mt. Fuji and I was so glad I was able to take a clear shot of Mt. Fuji that day. From Kawaguchiko station I took the train to Shimoyoshida(下吉田)station. Once I got out from the station, there is already a sign board to guide tourist the way to the pagoda.

It stated there by walking will take around 20 minutes to reach the Chureito Pagoda. However, it wasn't a relax walk. At one point, there is a long staircase to climb up to reach the place. I remember sweating a lot after climbing the staircases. However all the effort is worth once you saw the view there.

A scenic view after climbing the stairs


One of the iconic view of Mount Fuji in Japan. I always thought that the Pagoda is a big tower, but once I got there I just realized it isn't a real Pagoda tower. It's actually a cenotaph monument built on 1962 to enshrine about 960 citizens from Fujiyoshida who died in the wars after 1868.

After enjoying the view there I went back to Kawaguchiko station and went to the Mt. Fuji Panoramic Ropeway. The round trip ticket costs around ¥800. There is a 360° observation deck on top too and I got a clear view of the Lake Kawaguchi with the Mt. Fuji.


Lake Kawaguchi


After spending some time on top, I took the omni bus to a stop which I got a closer view of the Lake Kawaguchi. I found a spot which I can take the photo of the lake together with the Mt. Fuji. There was an uncle there too when I was setting up my camera stand. The uncle approached me and suggested me to come again tomorrow morning. He told me that in the morning the lake surface will reflect the Mt. Fuji and looks like 2 Mt. Fuji which will be another good shot. I was grateful to that uncle telling me that, but too bad I'm moving out the next day so I can't go there again.
 



After an unfruitful day on the previous day at Shizuoka, that day's weather was so great! There was no cloud covering the Mt. Fuji and I got a lot of good shot of Mt. Fuji. That was when I told my parents one day I will bring them there to enjoy the view which I've seen there. 

Since I was staying there for a night, after having my dinner I just roamed around the only supermarket there and bought some snacks to enjoy in the hostel later. While walking back to the hostel I saw a batting center. Since I never try out before in Japan and it was quite empty as well, so I just went in and give it a try. I can't remember how many shots was there, but I remember hitting one or two only 😅 It wasn't great but at least I tried it before now. LOL


On 26th May (Sat) I already planned to go Tokyo in the afternoon by the JR bus. While I still have some time in the morning at Lake Kawaguchi, I planned to visit the Fuji Shibazakura festival(富士芝桜まつり). The Fuji Shibazakura Festival is one of the best and most popular occasions nationwide to see the breathtaking views of vast fields of shibazakura with Mount Fuji in the backdrop on clear days. The festival is typically held from mid April through early June. The best time to see the flowers usually would be the first few weeks of May.

At Kawaguchiko station there is a shuttle bus service called the Shibazakura Liner which travel between Kawaguchiko station and the Fuji Shibazakura festival. Normally the round trip ticket plus the admission fee would cost ¥2,200. However when I went to the booth to buy the ticket, there was a photo showing the condition of the flowers there. Since that day was already end of May, most of the shibazakura were already withered and only left few pieces of field. Due to that condition they offered a discounted price of ¥1,450. I feel that was such a nice gesture from them to let the tourists know beforehand the condition there so that they won't get disappointed. Since I already planned this in my itinerary I just go ahead with my plan and went to the Fuji Shibazakura Festival.

The booth which sell the Shibazakura Liner bus tickets. It's just next to the Shibazakura Liner bus stop

Another great day to view the Mount Fuji

The bus ride took around 50 minutes and I was the only passenger it that trip😂 Once I reached there, just as they shown in the picture the area was no longer cover with pink shibazakura flowers as everyone imagine. The field were mostly just grass and only left a few clusters of the shibazakura. Even though it's no longer as pink as expected, there were still quite a number of tourists there. I guess it was because of the cool weather there (below 20℃) plus that day the sky was clear and we can easily see the Mount Fuji.

Another lucky day for me to have a clear shot of Mt. Fuji 😁

Double Mt. Fuji

The last cluster of the Shibazakura






Even though the field were mostly empty, there were still tourists went there

After spending some times there, I took the shuttle bus back to Kawaguchiko station and wait for my bus to Tokyo. I spent my last 3 days in Japan there before taking my flight back to Singapore. During my stays in Tokyo, I just went to those usual spots where I normally go like Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Odaiba, Tokyo station and so on. During this trip I also managed to visit the Shonen Jump Exhibition.


Night view at Odaiba


Pokémon Center at Ikebukuro

Pokémon Center Tokyo DX near Tokyo Station

A special chef and waitress Pikachu plushies which only sold there because there is a Pokémon Café next to it

Need to book a timing before going in

So far my 2018 Japan trip is the most fulfilling one as I went to see the Snow wall during the pre-summer season, able to take some good shot of the Mt. Fuji. After my 2019 family trip to Japan, I appreciate even more the photos which I took about the Mt. Fuji as I realized it isn't a guarantee that you are able to see Mt. Fuji everyday. I consider myself really lucky the 2 days I was at Lake Kawaguchi I got a clear view of Mt. Fuji. So be grateful when you are able to see Mt. Fuji when you're in Japan, especially when you purposely go to a place to see that magnificent Mt. Fuji 🗻

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top